Protein is a crucial element of a balanced diet and is critical for health. It plays an essential role in the production and regulation of hormones, organ function, muscle growth and repair, and many other things. However, many people struggle to attain adequate levels of protein in their diet. High-quality whey protein powder can help to bridge the gap.
However, not all protein powders are created equally.
There are many whey protein powders available today, choosing the correct one for you can be a struggle! The clear majority, regular whey protein, is sourced from feedlot cattle who are fed with grains or corn mash and are treated with antibiotics (rGBH – recombinant bovine growth hormone), or other artificial veterinary medications. These hormones and/or antibiotics can consequently be traced in their milk. Additionally, grain-fed cows routinely ingest the residues of pesticides from their feed, traces of which can also be found in their milk.
Conversely, grass-fed cattle are granted access to pasture throughout the entire growing season and in many cases year-round. Additionally, grass-fed cattle are treated in a more natural, compassionate, and humane manner. In order to be considered as Organic certified, farmers may only use non-GMO feed to supplement their intake, but more and more farmers are moving to grass-fed year-round only. The milk produced by grass-fed Organic contains up to four times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids. This is just the beginning of the list of the many added health benefits we gain from Organic, grass-fed cow’s milk.
HOW IS WHEY PROTEIN MADE?
Whey protein is a milk protein and a dairy product. It is obtained from milk during the process of making cheese. Cow’s milk naturally contains two forms of protein. 80% of the protein found in cow’s milk is casein protein; the slow-digesting protein we have all come to know. The second form of protein found in cow’s milk is whey protein, which accounts for the other 20% of the protein found in cow’s milk. This is the same fast-digesting whey protein we see in most post-training protein powders and protein shakes.
The casein part is commonly used to make the cheese while the whey protein is the liquid that remains once you separate out all the milk solids. If you ever buy natural yogurts and open them to find a liquid on top this is whey protein in its original form!
GRASS-FED WHEY PROTEIN VS. REGULAR WHEY PROTEIN