Protein: 1.2 x 84 kg = 100.8 grams of protein
From here, you’ll want to fill the remaining calories with carbohydrates and fat, depending on your preference.
Using the example above and assuming a 2000-calorie diet, total protein intake will then account for around 20% of your total calorie intake. This means the remaining 80% of calories can come from carbohydrates and fat, in amounts that suit your preferences.
Just remember that these ratios can be dynamic and should be based on preference and how you respond. If you find that 1.2 g/kg is too low or too high, you can adjust to meet what works best for you and the same with carbs and fat. Just make certain that you’re consuming adequate protein.
CALORIE & MACRO TRACKING
Regardless of your overall goals, you should determine your preferred level of scrutiny when it comes to nutrition.
If you’re a strength athlete that requires a competitive advantage, tracking calories and macros affords you an unparalleled level of authority when it comes to how your body functions and grows. In this case, tracking intake is always recommended since it provides you with clear data of how much you’re eating and how that influences your ability to grow stronger. If you’re simply looking to improve your strength ability, tracking calories and macros may not be necessary for you, as it can be time-consuming.
As with most other suggestions here, tracking or not tracking will depend on your preference and the level of control you desire.
CALORIE CYCLING IS A GOOD IDEA
A relatively new concept in sports nutrition is the idea of cycling calories based on your activity level. Rather than simply eating a static amount of calories regardless of exercise and activity, cycling the total amount of calories you eat based on this activity again provides you with an extra layer of security over your bodyweight and growth.
For example, let’s assume you require an average of 2000 calories each day to support muscle and strength development.
When using a cycling approach, you can adjust your daily intake so that on training days, you consume 2200 calories and on off days, you consume only 1800. In this scenario, food intake is elevated when energy demands are higher and lowered when energy demands are low. This happens while still maintaining an average intake of 2000 calories.
While you’re certainly welcome to consume a static number of calories daily, cycling based on activity level is a great approach, especially for competitive athletes who rely on optimizing strength gain, while limiting bodyweight gain.
SUPPLEMENTATION FOR STRENGTH GAIN